July 30, 2021 Release of Revised Edition and Abridged Edition of Guidance on Safe and Secure Radio Wave Utilization in Medical Institutions
The Radio Wave Utilization Promotion Committee for Medical Institutions, an internal discussion group, established by the Electromagnetic Compatibility Conference Japan(see note), has been studying the promotion of proper radio wave utilization in medical institutions. In this connection, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) have proactively contributed to the Committee’s activities.
The Electromagnetic Compatibility Conference Japan (EMCC) has today released a revised edition and abridged edition of a document entitled “Guidance on Safe and Secure Radio Wave Utilization in Medical Institutions” based on the results of the Committee’s study to date.
Note: EMCC is a consultative body composed of academic experts, relevant ministries and agencies, and industry organizations to discuss measures to prevent and eliminate interference to electronic devices, etc., caused by radio waves. MIC also participates as a member.
In April 2016, the EMCC’s Radio Wave Utilization Promotion Committee for Medical Institutions formulated the document entitled “Guidance on Safe and Secure Radio Wave Utilization in Medical Institutions” (hereafter referred to as the “Guidance”). The Guidance aimed to ensure the proper use of radio waves in medical institutions in response to increased devices that use radio waves in medical institutions.
Since then, the Committee has continued to work on the Rules for the Safe Use of Radio Waves (Examples). In addition, the Subcommittee to Study Architectural Guidelines Considering the Use of Radio Waves in Medical Institutions under the Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) has been working on the issuance of a publication entitled “Guidelines and descriptions for building plan considering the use of radio wave equipment on medical institution－For Wireless medical telemetry systems－.” In the meantime, radio wave usage in medical institutions has been changing with an expansion of wireless LAN usage, the emergence of new wireless communication technologies, such as 5G, and the revision of EMC standards for medical electrical equipment.
The Committee considered it necessary to reflect its activities since the formulation of the Guidance and the latest information and improve the ease of use of the Guidance. To this end, the Committee has been studying the inclusion of trouble cases, measures, Q&A, and examples of countermeasures implemented in medical institutions specified on an area-by-area basis. The abridged edition explains the outline of the Guidance in an easy-to-understand manner.
Based on the results of the Committee’s discussions, the EMCC has today released the revised edition and abridged edition of the Guidance.
2. Outline of revised edition of Guidance
The revised edition of the Guidance provides information in as easy-to-understand a manner as possible. It focuses on Trouble case and countermeasure with equipment that uses radio waves (wireless medical telemetry, wireless LAN, cell phones, and other equipment), and safety management system for use of radio waves in medical institutions. This edition is intended to be used as a reference when medical institutions, telecommunications carriers, medical electric equipment manufacturers and distributors, and construction companies work together to develop a safe and secure environment for the use of radio waves in medical institutions.
The following points have been enhanced in the revision.
1. Reflections on activities since the first edition was published, including the items specified below
- Reflecting the Rules for the Safe Use of Radio Waves (Examples)
- Enhancement of measures related to the architectural designing, construction, and operation of medical institutions, which account for about 70% of the causes of problems related to radio waves of wireless medical telemetry.
2. Reflecting new radio wave usage trends and technology trends, including the items specified below
- Latest trends in radio wave usage, such as the spread of radio wave usage in medical institutions triggered by the outbreak of novel coronavirus infections
- Description of examples of measures to ensure the safe and secure use of radio waves in response to detailed usage needs, such as wireless LAN and mobile phone tethering.
- New standards and revised EMC standards for wireless LANs and mobile phones
3. Improvements in ease of use
- Added with descriptions that are easy to understand for medical doctors, nurses, and other staff and departments that manage medical electrical equipment and wireless devices, with the abridged version prepared.
- Added with examples of countermeasures
implemented by medical institutions specified on an area-by-area basis and expanded trouble cases, measures, and Q&A for ease of discussing specific measures right away.
3. Future plans
MIC will proactively cooperate in keeping medical institutions informed of the revised edition of the Guidance.
For further information about this press release, please fill in the inquiry form and submit it to MIC on the website
Global Strategy Division, Global Strategy Bureau, MIC
TEL: +81 3 5253 5920
FAX: +81 3 5253 5924