Basic Resident Registration Card/Individual Number Card

The Basic Resident Registration Network System has started operation for foreign residents as well as of July 8th, 2013. This means that foreign residents are now eligible for the Basic Resident Registration Card.

Due to the issuance of the Individual Number Card starting from January 2016, issuance of the Basic Resident Registration Card has finished in December 2015. However, if you currently have a Basic Resident Registration Card, you can use it as long as it is valid and usable even after January 2016, until you acquire an Individual Number Card.

Please return the Basic Resident Registration Card in exchange of the Individual Number Card.

If you have a Basic Resident Registration Card, you will need to return it at the window when receiving the Individual Number Card after January 2016, so please bring it with you. (A Basic Resident Registration Card with a photo can be used as a personal identification document for receiving the Individual Number Card.).

Individual Number Card

In general, you can receive the Individual Number Card at the municipality you live in.
An Individual Number Card is a plastic card which contains an IC chip, and the bearer's name, address, date of birth, sex, My Number (the Individual Number), and ID photograph, etc., are displayed on it.
This card can be used as an identification card for identity verification as well as to receive a wide range of services including municipality services and electronic applications using the electronic certificate such as e-Tax.
Please visit the「Individual Number Card Website別ウィンドウで開きます」for more details on the Individual Number Card.

※If you have extended your period of stay…
An update to the information printed on your Individual Number Card is required.

Examples of activities that have become available from July 8th, 2013

  • Procedures have been simplified. For example, it is possible to omit submission of a copy of the Resident Record at some administrative organs.
  • You can now get issued with a Copy of the Resident Record even in municipalities where you do not live (note). (Note) You will need to show your Basic Resident Registration Card, Individual Number Card or Residence Card.
  • If you have a Basic Resident Registration Card or Individual Number Card, a special clause for the move in notification applies, meaning you can submit your move out notification by mail, etc. and you will only need to go to the new municipality office once for your moving process.
  • The Basic Resident Registration Card or Individual Number Card contains an electronic certificate, so it can be used for internet applications for government procedures which require using an electronic certificate to verify identity.
  • It is possible for those who have obtained the Basic Resident Registration Card or Individual Number Card to receive original services provided by municipalities such as issuance of certificates at convenience stores in some municipalities.

Issuing of documents such as certificates at convenience stores

The operating instructions for Convenience Store Certificate Issuance service kiosk terminals is available in multiple languages since June 10, 2014.

In addition to Japanese, messages translated into English, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish will be displayed on the operation screen.

  • * This service issues the following documents (in Japanese): "Copy of the Resident Record”, " Certificate of Items Stated in the Resident Record”, and "Seal Registration Certificate".
  • * Only operation guidance for the kiosk terminal's touch panel screen is offered in multiple languages. Certificates such as the copy of the Resident Record are written in Japanese only.
  • * Please check ahead of time whether your local municipality offers the Convenience Store Certificate Issuance service.

For more information on the Convenience Store Issuance service, please see this site (Japanese).別ウィンドウで開きます